One of the first private Dexter bankers on record was Conger, Pierce and Co., owned by E. H. Conger, G. G. Pierce, and W. B. Conger. 1877. Also in 1877, Charles A. Stevens loaned money.
The Bank of Dexter was established in 1875, organized as a state bank in 1894, but closed in 1924.
The Dexter Savings Bank organized in 1901, and sold in 1911. The First National Bank of Dexter formed, chartered by the office of the administrator of National Banks, placed in voluntary liquidation in 1920.
The Iowa State Bank of Dexter organized in 1920, but closed in 1934. That year the Valley Savings Bank of Des Moines was allowed to operate an office in Dexter until 1942, when it was sold to the Dallas County State Bank of Adel.
Russell Horn served as manager of the Dexter office from 1945 until 1967.
Someone has bought this beautiful old building, but don’t know what it might be turned into.
History of Dexter, Iowa–1968 Centennial book, page 29.