William H. George
Born in 1862, William George started out farming but worked on inventing a threshing machine tooth. He became a traveling salesman in 1890 for Gaar, Scott & Company, manufacturers of threshing machines. During the two years he worked for them, he began making thresher teeth. It soon demanded his entire attention.
In 1892 William H. George started a company to manufacture his invention of a threshing machine tooth, which he had patents for.
Threshing machines were equipped with spikes or teeth mounted on a rotating threshing-drum.
The Dexter Washer company was established in Dexter, Iowa, in 1894, during the era of hand-powered wringer washers. A modern factory building was erected in Dexter in 1903.
Dexter’s population at the time was as large it would ever be: 795 souls.
The Dexter Washer company also manufactured automatic engine couplers, adjustable belt guards, cylinder wrenches, and harrow carts in connection with the thresher tooth.
The factory was destroyed by fine in 1907. A new department had been added as W. H. George had designed several washing machines, some called “The Monarch” and “Billy Twister.” The first ones were made from cypress. Later they were made of zinc, copper, and porcelain with a variety of power options–belts, steam, gas, and electricity.
Dexter Laundry relocated to Fairfield, Iowa, in 1908, where they still manufacture washers.
Dexter Apache Holdings, Inc: Mission & History.
History of Dexter, Iowa–1968.
Past and Present of Dallas County, Iowa, Vol. 1, pages 345f.
The Dexter Museum has an undated Dexter Wringer Washer Service Manual.
There is also a 1963 sales postcard attached to a Dexter Wringer Washer Parts List 1958 and 1959, with several diagrams.