The First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1868, with an original membership of six people: Joseph Hunter, Annie Hunter, Fannie Hunter, Jonathan and Joseph B. Hunter, and Jerry Carrothers. At first they held services in their homes, the schoolhouse, and the depot. The first church building was built in 1870.
The present church was built, at a cost of $10,000. About 500 people attended the dedication service, followed by meetings, then a series of revival meetings. The architect was W. Howard Speer, “one of our Dexter boys,” according to the Dexter Centennial history, “who has an office in the New York Life Bldg., Omaha, Nebr.” Membership in 1907 was about 100 people.
The 150th anniversary celebration for the Dexter Presbyterian Church was held October 7, 2018.
Source: 1968 Dexter Centennial history, pages 83-84