In 1871, three years after the founding of Dexter, a Lutheran missionary from Iowa City began conducting German Lutheran services in Dexter homes until they rented a building in town. In 1872 the congregation hired its first resident minister. They also bought 3 ¼ acres, where the first church was built in 1874.
A brick building was erected in 1909, at a cost of $5,572, with a seating capacity of 140 people. Rev. Kurt Daib served the congregation for thirty years.
The present building was dedicated in 1958, at a cost of $125,000, including a fellowship hall and eight classrooms.
Source: 1968 Dexter Centennial history, pages 79-80